Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ugh.

We've had some interesting conversations these past few days with the little man about his race.

Comments have been made at school and long story short, it is impacting his heart and how he views himself.

My heart breaks for him and my eyes well up with tears even as I write this. I want nothing more than for my sweet boy to feel like he belongs and is beautiful. I want him to be confident in who God created him to be and never think that he falls short or is the wrong color.

So this is what is keeping me up at night. This is what I am now currently trying to teach myself all about.

"Individuals of any race or culture do not outgrow the longing to be connected - to have a sense of belonging, to be with others who are "just like me," and to know they are a part of a broader community." (Excerpt from Dim Sum, Bagels, and Grits)

You just forget how privileged you are to be white until something like this smacks you in the face.

3 comments:

shellycoulter said...

SJ, You show that boy unconditional love. You and Micah are so great at loving and parenting him with excellence and although things of this world may hurt him...you guys are building a great foundation for him to stand on. I can't imagine how hard this is. I know how much I hurt for Eli as he learns to deal with social situations, being somewhat shy and reserved, and that hurts me. And while its not the same thing and I know that...I'm just saying I know that feeling of not wanting your kiddo to be hurt or feel bad about themselves and wanting to protect them. I don't even know how to encourage you with this issue, except to say that you guys are wonderful parents and Mihretu knows he belongs to and is a part of you and Micah. Hang in there and stop by if you need to vent or cry! I'll be quiet and listen. :)

corourke said...

You are such a wonderful mama...he is loved and has this beautiful place in all of our hearts and we love him unconditionally for all that he is. I am thankful that he has such great parents who can help him gain confidence and strength,

Unknown said...

prayers for you and your lovely family dear friend. Confident you will work through this and future situations with love, grace, strength and compassion.