Coincidentally brother Jonathan introduced us to the author Jonathan Kozol early last spring. We had the opportunity to attend the John P. "Jack" Ellbogen Symposium for Teaching and Learning this afternoon and listen to Mr. Kozol himself speak on his latest book, Letters to a Young Teacher. This is his most recent publication and addresses many controversial issues such as: high-stakes testing, corporate involvement in public schools, and yes, as hard as it is to believe, the re-segregation of urban schools. it is a very interesting book and I am reading through it for a second time.
Now maybe it is because I am a teacher, maybe it is because I am one of the most emotional people I know, maybe it is because of both, but I spent a portion of this address crying. This man was so encouraging of teachers and spoke so highly of them. He spoke of the hardships they endure, the battles they come up against everyday and of the many, many joys of breaking through the HUGE walls that surround some children academically and emotionally. My heart swelled with joy listening to this person, whom I have never met, speak so passionately about the many things I myself have felt so deeply. It made me feel like someone was out there advocating for teachers-and still believed in supporting us and public education.
No comments:
Post a Comment