Tuesday, January 3, 2012

9th Grade Life Lessons

At the end of the day I was sitting with some 9th grade students.

Both are new to the United States this year, and despite navigating a new culture and language on top of being teenagers, they are doing quite well.

Not sure how the topic came up, but we began talking about their home countries.

Soon they were telling me how drugs, rebels, gangs, corruption and injustices are impacting their communities back home.

I sat there listening to their stories, gaining a glimpse into their lives and was filled with emotion at all they have experienced in their young lives.

As my eyes welled up with tears I asked them if they are ever scared and without skipping a beat they both told me,

"No! This is how we have always known life."

I sat silent, mulling this over, thinking to myself how strong they are and in the same moment of time getting ticked off that this is a part of our world. No child should ever be comfortable with violence and fear. What has happened that has led us to this point?

They filled the silence by commenting that Americans are a driving force in both countries regarding the drug problem because they have the money.

This makes my heart even more heavy.

I have so much to learn.


No comments: