Two and a half hours went by discussing his abilities as a student.
Two and a half hours went by where we tried to determine if he is capable of surviving in our system and can meet the demands of a "regular" student.
Two and a half hours went by where we able to hear stories from this young man and his tia.
Stories of struggle. Stories of perseverance. Stories of eating dirt just fill a belly. Stories of hope. Stories of poverty experienced beyond my understanding. Stories of commitment. Stories of dedication.
I left the meeting feeling so emotional. Emotional because my heart aches knowing what this young man has lived through and the injustices he has experienced in his short life. Emotional because his Tia expresses a beautiful commitment of love that brings hope. Emotional because I feel so humbled to share in his journey with him, but know that there are so many others who have similar stories.
We are so lucky to be born in America and I wonder how many of us would be willing to endure all that he has.
2 comments:
Beautiful. Thank you.
Yes...yes...thankful...
Post a Comment