Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thoughts on Stuff

So we had a garage sale yesterday and were able to earn one third of a plane ticket. We are very thankful for that because every little bit helps.

But I have been thinking a lot about the amount of stuff that we have, that we consume, that we cycle through.

Frankly I am just overwhelmed at how much stuff there is. I was talking with Micah about the desire to live a simple life and how you would think that it should be an easy task, but in reality it requires much more thought. You have to be purposeful to not acquire abundant amounts of stuff, to not just constantly be bringing things into your home without determining the point and if it is really necessary.

I have been thinking a lot about the amount of stuff I have seen in the homes when I travel abroad. Some of these families are getting by on two pairs of clothes - if even that - and feel tremendous wealth if they own a donkey or bike to haul their goods on.

We have two vehicles - and some families even have more. We have closets full of clothes and cupboards full of dishes and food that extend beyond one week.

It is just so different and so easy to get caught up in what we don't have, rather than what we do have.

Ugh.

No comments: