Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day Jitters


There is a wonderful children's book that shares the story of Sarah Jane Hartwell who is pretty nervous to wake up and prepare for her first day of school.  She wants to crawl deep down under the covers and stay there.  She can barely eat her breakfast and is confident that if she doesn't go to school she will be fine because no one will miss her or even notice that she is gone.  Mr. Hartwell urges her to get out of bed and prepare for her exciting first day of school, despite her nervousness.  
This story might seem like fiction, but there is more than a little bit of truth in it. I know from my years of teaching that the students are not the only ones who get the jitters at the beginning the school year. There is a certain anticipation surrounding the first impressions, how they will respond to you...will they like you?! I was even worried about what I should wear for goodness sakes! So I love sharing this story with the children on the first day.  I love hearing their responses to the surprise ending and reminding myself that I will get through this....we just need to remember to laugh a little along the way. 
Despite the nervousness and the lack of sleep, the first day went well. I realized that I also felt a lot of excitement for the fresh start that is provided with the first day.  I have expectations in mind not only for my students, but for myself as well. I am eager to see how things fall into place and if those expectations become a reality or not. I am sure that by the end of this year I will no longer have the "first day jitters" but the "last day blues" just like last year and the year before. 

No comments: