Sunday, June 15, 2008

How Do They Do That?!?

We have been living in our new place for a little over two weeks now.  Our home has lots of windows which I appreciate greatly.  I enjoy all of the sunlight, the view and more recently the opportunity to watch all the birds.  There has been several occasions where I am either in the house or sitting out in the yard with friends visiting and I have never experienced anything like this before.  What I mean is that I have experienced birds landing in the yard and hopping around before.  What I haven't experienced is them hopping around, pecking at the ground and then yanking up a worm! This is completely fascinating to me and at the same time a little gross.  I usually get really excited and start hollering while at the same time gagging at the thought of the worm dangling in the bird's throat.  
I was so fascinated by this that I had to figure out how they find the worms. They just hop around the yard, stopping occasionally, and then WHAM they peck the ground and pull out a worm.  So this is what my friend Lisa figured out to clear up the mystery: (Thanks Lisa!)
  • A study done in the 1990s isolated each of the robin's various senses to see which the robin used the most.  It turns out that hearing is the most important sense - that the robin listens for the small noises a worm makes while burrowing along the ground.  
  • The robin does use its other senses too - watching for movement, feeling for rumbling with its feet.  But the main sense that helps out the most is the robin's hearing.  One sense a robin does NOT use is its sense of smell.  The robin has a really poor sense of smell, and it would not help out a robin at all. 
If you haven't realized, I am really intrigued by all of this.  I hope that if you ever visit our house you will get to experience this as well. Now I just need to figure out what sound a worm makes when burrowing along the ground!

These photos were taken by our downstairs neighbor.  He was able to catch the robins in action! Thanks Mike!


1 comment:

Eva said...

This is so funny SaraJane. I have been thinking about this a lot this spring and summer. The robins are all over our back yard, probably b/c it's quiet most of the time, and I see them do the same thing and have been wondering the same things as you!!! It's so funny. There we go again - thinking the same way. It's good that you got some answers though b/c I just figured in my own head that they must hear or smell them or something. You actually found out for sure. Yeah, good job. (I check your blog all the time). It would be so nice to see you sometime.