Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Martin's Wisdom Through the Mouth of a First Grader



We took some time to learn about Martin Luther King Jr. I was unsure of how well the students would grasp the significance of this man and the issues he tried to change. There is a beautiful picture book called, Martin's Big Words, that has beautiful artwork and discusses some of the changes he tried to make. As I read through the story, some of the students could not understand why these things happened; why someone didn't make them stop, why little children couldn't swim together in the same pool, why such a thing as slavery existed in our nation. When I had finished reading the story I asked them to consider the story and what Martin would want them to learn today. There was a lingering period of silence and I started to worry that this was a bigger step for them to take then I had anticipated. Then slowly a student raises his hand and says, "I think what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was wanting us to know is that if you fight hate with more hate, it will just make people madder. But if you try to fight hate with love then it will start to break down the hate and fill those holes with love." Do you need to say more after that?

"Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarajane! I know sure how I came across your blog but I did! How are you? How is Micah? I haven't seen you in forever!