This evening the little man and I were driving home after running some errands. As we were preparing to pull out of the parking lot he noticed a gentleman sitting at the corner, holding a sign that read, "In need, anything helps." M. asked what the sign said and what the man was doing.
I explained to him that sometimes there are people without a place to call home and they are in need of help.
Instantly he told me that he could sleep on the floor in our room and we could let this man have his room.
My eyes start to well up with tears.
I gently tell him that we would probably need to talk with Aba about this first, but that we can do something else to help him.
Immediately he pulls his lunch box out of his backpack and takes out a granola bar.
My eyes well up with more tears.
We pull up beside this gentleman, I roll the car window down and M. reaches across the car to hand off his granola bar.
As we pull away he begins to express his confusion and sadness with the fact that some people are homeless..... and I don't have any easy answers for him.
1 comment:
No easy answers...what compassion!
Post a Comment