It finally happened.
That moment where our little man experiences such an injury that gets our hearts beating at a much faster pace and takes our breath away initially.
We had been warned that these moments would occur - but I was definitely not prepared. You might laugh at me, because it is relatively minor, but let me just inform you that I don't do well with blood and I especially don't do well with blood coming from someone I love.
Sunday the little man was running around the church auditorium (obeying his mama might I add because we had told him that he was not allowed to run in the gym or on stage today). So a little turn went for the worse when he tripped, falling face first into the chair leg and smacked his head.
I was standing right there and heard the smack so I was prepared for something (something is very vague and open - ended.....preferably not that painfully). After dropping my things I bent down to pick him up, only to turn him over and see blood
gushing out of his head. I know that head wounds are typically bad when it comes to bleeding, but I couldn't figure out how bad the cut was because there was so much blood initially. That is what threw me into high adrenaline mode.
I ran with him to the bathroom and laid him out on the counter - luckily not thinking about germs at this point. Wads of toilet paper and paper towels were used to wipe up the blood, and I sent a first grader to hunt down Micah to help with M. and provide comfort to me.
Needless to say, we all survived this first traumatic moment with the help of a lot of friends and a lot of encouragement. I am pretty sure that M. even started enjoying this battle wound as a way to get people's attention and tell them a story. Oh the adventures he is leading us on!
2 comments:
Lisa told me you were a champion and handled all things exquisitely - and I believe it!
bummer! evie has a scar in the exact same place from when she fell into the joint thingy in our back door =(
Post a Comment