Monday, December 6, 2010

Overflowing


This year for my birthday I would be turning the big 3-0. Not something that I was dreading or even stressing out about. I wasn't regretting turning "old" or anything like that. I did however, have many moments where I was reflecting on whether or not I was living my life to the fullest, pursuing the right things, advocating, making a difference....you know all of that deep stuff. Well I entered my thirtieth year of life feeling completely overwhelmed with the love that was thrown my way surrounding my special day.
My first birthday gift - roses.

I would be lying if I said that I fully appreciate my husband on a daily basis - he definitely doesn't get bragged about enough, and I definitely don't desire such a loving man. For the week leading up to my birthday I was daily greeted with a gift. He titled it "the week of birthday gifts" and it was a week that spoiled me beyond my imagination. I was given much more than I needed or deserved.
Another birthday gift - warm socks - being chewed on by the little man...while on my feet.

Surely this was the perfect way to celebrate my birthday. Micah had other plans.....One would think that "the week of birthday gifts" would be enough - but while I wrapped up my Friday at work I received a phone call from a friend requesting that I be home by 3:55 at the latest. After confirming that everything was alright, I gathered up my things and headed home. She quickly ushered me out the door and into her car. Within the first minute I was given a card from Micah for a free hour massage. I had no idea that I would soon be dropped off for that appointment! Despite my confusion surrounding the whole situation - I was really looking forward to the appointment. Once finished, my friend ushered me back home only to find out that Micah had gathered some dear friends to help celebrate the occasion!
With my two favorite guys the night of the surprise gathering. Don't mind how disheveled I look-this is the result of a week of work and an hour massage. I was mush at this point.

I awoke the next morning grateful for the thoughtfulness of my husband and the opportunity to surround myself with such wonderful people the evening before my birthday. Surely this was the perfect way to celebrate my birthday. Micah had other plans.....

He shared with me a video greeting from my beautiful friend Melissa. She is currently living across the ocean with her husband-enjoy the mysteries of a new country and teaching English to beautiful children. I miss her terribly and had been longing for her to be near during this time, so seeing this video she had created not only brought me joy - but a lot of tears as well. Surely this was the perfect way to celebrate my birthday. Micah had other plans.....
Shortly after finishing the video and wiping away some tears Micah informed me that I needed to pack one overnight bag and be ready to leave by noon. His sister - thank goodness for her - would be coming to stay with our little man and we would be taking a surprise overnight trip. This would be the first time that we have both been away from M. since he arrived home so I was a little excited but a whole lot of nervous too.

We packed up, gave lots of hugs and said our goodbyes making our way on the adventure. Several hours later we had arrived in Denver and the surprises continued to be revealed when appropriate. After dressing up and enjoying a wonderful dinner we went for a walk only to come across the parade of lights; much more elaborate that Laramie's! :)
The evening ended enjoying a wonderful performance of the Nutcracker. I thoroughly enjoyed my first ballet - it was so incredibly beautiful!
We awoke after a wonderful nights sleep, enjoyed a caramel roll and then made our way back to Laramie to see our little man - who we were both very excited to see again at this point.
I have never imagined a birthday like this - nor did I ever think that I would deserve something this wonderful. It was by far the best birthday I have ever experienced and I feel so incredibly lucky to have such a fantastic husband and so many wonderful friends who helped make it special.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

^^ Love this. AND...do you realize we each enjoyed The Nutcracker THIS Holiday season -- awww.
Happy 30th year dear friend!

shellycoulter said...

Oh SaraJane ---I had no idea about all of that. Good job, Micah! I'm so happy he made your birthday so special for you! I love you & so wish we saw each other more...but even though our lives are not crossing much at the moment, know that I love you dearly! It will be summer soon which will make it easier to hang out!
Have a beautiful day, friend!

Eva said...

what a great husband you have =) he asked for bday advice from a bunch of friends. i said i would just like to get away, so perhaps he took part of my advice. glad you had such a nice time!

Unknown said...

Outdone by Mr. Herrboldt. But at least we both treated our wives to the Nutcracker. I'm wondering tho...why is it that you "don't desire such a loving man"? :D