Our church is beginning a three week series on generosity. It seems somewhat interesting to me that we are discussing this topic now, amidst a time when our economy is less than ideal and affecting the lives of so many. I can't help but think over and over, what is the big message that needs to be gleamed from this situation, what is it that we need to learn, to be aware of. Through all of this questioning and sadness felt for those being affected I keep coming back to this idea of community.
If you have known our family than you know that we have been talking about this big idea of "community" for a long time. We have made decisions and changes in our lives so that we can live in a more purposeful community with others. We have committed to the idea of establishing and maintaining a community that not only benefits our lives, but the lives of those who interact with our community.
So I can't help but wonder if that is what we are missing when we get caught up in the sadness and worry brought with the failing economy. This is a very difficult time for many people and I know that it will cause families pain in more ways than one. But I wonder what would happen if we as family, as a neighborhood, as a community, committed to taking care of one another during this trying time.
Isn't this what we always hear from our parents and grandparents? That the feeling of a neighborhood no longer exists. We don't take the time to get to know our neighbors, to share meals with them, to help meet their daily needs.
I am eager to see what begins to happen and how this crisis affects our level of generosity and our community.
No comments:
Post a Comment